Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
J.E.D.I at CHP
At CHP, we take our organizational values very seriously. We recognize that we must be bold and stand up to the public health crisis of systemic racism that permeates all aspects of our society. It is our responsibility to address the health inequities that are present in our community due to the systemic social oppression of all marginalized populations. Through collaboration, we will innovate our practices so that all people feel respected.
With this in mind, CHP is fully committed to racial Justice, Health Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (J.E.D.I.). We understand that as we engage with our partners, both internally and externally, we are collectively a sum of our identities, values, perspectives, and cultures. We acknowledge that experiences of power and privilege may affect our approach to our work and our effectiveness in it. We enter our J.E.D.I. work in the same way we approach all our work: through community engagement and discovery. We will take the time we need to listen to those most affected by the systems we are trying to improve in order for us to gain empathy and understanding. Furthermore, we commit to confront systems of oppression by addressing white supremacy in our organization and in the community. Through self-reflection, growth, and collaboration from staff, board members, and community partners, we commit to actualizing racial equity, inclusion, and belonging. We invite you to join us in ending health and racial inequities to improve the health of the Pikes Peak region.
Since July 2020, CHP has completed the following:
- Formed an anti-racism committee to spearhead J.E.D.I. work
- Begun allocating resources to address J.E.D.I. work
Over the next year, the staff and board at CHP will be incorporating J.E.D.I into our organizational practice by:
- Assessing our current internal policies and procedures to ensure health and racial equity are core elements of CHP
- Developing an employee professional development process to set clear expectations and accountability around J.E.D.I
- Enhancing diversity and inclusion efforts in our hiring, recruitment, leadership, and investments.
- Beginning to have conversations within our collaboratives/partners/systems about J.E.D.I.
Below are some newsletters we have developed to continue our learning: